Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Most Important Freedom

Freedom to choose is the most important ideal that this country was founded upon. Freedom to choose to own a gun. Freedom to choose to marry someone of the same sex. Freedom to choose how to discipline your children. Freedom to choose your own health care. Freedom to choose to get an abortion. Freedom to choose to smoke marijuana. Freedom to choose your religion, or have none at all. Freedom to say a prayer in a public place. Freedom to express negative opinions (though not free from consequence of those opinions). Freedom to eat too much food. Freedom to start a business. Freedom to hide your money under a mattress. Freedom to be a failure. Freedom to work hard and succeed.

The freedom to choose is what we are losing in this country. The government is slowly taking that freedom away from us. Too many people in this country care about what other people choose to do. I'm a Christian and I don't support abortions, but I realize that it's not my place to make that choice for another person. I've never smoked weed or cigarettes, but it's not my place to make that choice for another person. I don't think our government has the right to re-define marriage as defined by the Christian faith, but two gay people getting married doesn't affect me, so I couldn't care less.

This is the attitude our country needs to adopt. I think it's time we agree to disagree on most topics.  So lets just get out of other peoples' business, and live our lives how we CHOOSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment